We all know that there are many benefits to children participating in sporting programs. These benefits include improved cardiovascular and musculoskeletal health, learning skills such as teamwork, self-discipline, and healthy habits that can last a lifetime.
Children’s foot care is not the same as podiatry care for adults, as children are going through many bone shape changes, with changing biomechanical relationships between the feet, knees, and spine. Different growth centre’s need to close in developing bones, before the adult bone size shape and relationship to other bones is set for adult life.
Podiatrists treat conditions including:
- Knee pain
- Leg pain – shin splints, muscle and tendon sprains or tears
- Fractures including stress fractures
- Ankle pain
- Foot pain
- Low back or groin pain
If your child has an injury then we will help you to overcome that injury. However, we acknowledge that it is far better to prevent an injury from occurring in the first place.
We often assess injuries by using video gait analysis on our treadmill. If appropriate, we can arrange analysis on site to simulate the normal conditions of the activity.
Biomechanical evaluation may also be carried out. This measures the difference in angles and positions of your hips, legs and feet compared to normal.
Treatment will depend on the diagnosis and cause of symptoms and may include:
- RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation)
- Shockwave therapy
- Dry needling
- Advice on training, footwear and modification or adjustment of sporting equipment.
- Prescription orthotic therapy for biomechanical problems.
- Padding & Taping
- Stretching exercise programs.
- Advice on exercises to do at home to encourage quicker recovery.
- Training changes—depending on your activities the podiatrist may recommend modifications to a training regime. Return to activity should be supervised by a qualified person such as a podiatrist or experienced adolescent coach.
Written by Nicole.
Call us at 6293 2024
Book An Appointment – click the link below: https://brindabellapodiatry.com.au/online-podiatry-appointment-booking/